||Learners will be able to:
1. Display awareness of some basic features of the culture of the target country, to include commonplace greetings and social courtesies, and local customs
2. Use introductory vocabulary, to include greetings, introductions, courtesies, basic personal information, numbers 1-100, time, simple directions, making purchases, food and drink
3. Use sentence connectors, question words and simple grammatical constructions with correct pronunciation
4. Exchange familiar information, to include personal details such as where they live, people they know and things they have, notions of time and quantity, space and location, lifestyle preferences and responsibilities
5. Indicate a breakdown in communication, to include a signal of non-understanding, asking for repetition or slower speech, or 'Do you speak English/ [name mother tongue]' in the target language
6. Read simple notices, signs and short pieces of text on familiar subjects, to include social and/or work-related information
7. Interact in a simple way in the target language, to include simple exchanges and use of basic phrases, ordering food and drink, and making familiar purchases.